Greetings! We are pleased that you are considering our Miller School of Medicine (UMMSM) for your graduate education.
As a researcher, I base my conclusions on verifiable data. In that spirit, I would like to highlight for you some key facts about our strengths:
- UMMSM has consistently risen in the US News and World Report rankings over the past decades. We are also a leader amongst Florida’s research institutions.
- Our basic science programs continue to develop innovative ideas in research such as: epigenetics, nanotechnology, HIV/AIDS, and more.
- We have well established research centers and institutes including: Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, Hussman Institute for Human Genetics and Genomics, Interdisciplinary Stem Cell Institute and Bascom Palmer Eye Institute which remains the #1 in the country.
- Our basic and translational research is a key focus on our school. We aim to prepare students for global and industrial research career paths in addition to traditional academic tracks.
- UMMSM faculty receives approximately $260 million annually from public and private agencies to conduct a broad spectrum of nationally and internationally recognized research, build state-of-the-art facilities, and support graduate students and postdoctoral trainees.
At UMMSM, we are focused on education and developing the next generation of researchers.
- Each student has a dedicated mentor, the support of all program faculty as well as the strength and knowledge of their peers. You will have access to some of the best minds in research today.
- Students are actively engaged in collaborative groundbreaking research in the labs, classroom, workshops and lecture series. You will be prepared for both independent research, lab development and transference of knowledge via published research.
- Our mentor program and student group add to a well rounded education by encouraging dialog, service and social activities that develop our students and foster a cohesive learning environment.
- Of course, we cannot talk about the advantages of an education at the U without mentioning that we live and work in the Magic City. Miami is a city of many cultures and communities. It has incomparable natural beauty, miles of pristine beaches, great restaurants and a vibrant arts scene.
I encourage you to explore our website in depth, reach out to faculty about their research and consider if the U is a match for you.
Zafar Nawaz, PhD
Senior Associate Dean, Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
Professor, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Associate Research Director, Braman Family Breast Cancer Institute