· Ph.D. Bioanalytical Chemistry, May 1991, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain.
· M.S. Medicinal Chemistry, August 1985, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
· Pharm.D., March 1982, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain.
· Professor and Lucille P. Markey Chair, Department of Biochemistry and MolecularBiology, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, 2010-present
· Editor, Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, July 2001-present.
· Executive Editor, Analytical Biochemistry, 2003-present.
· Scientific Advisory Board, Institut Catalá de Nanotecnología, 2009-present
· XIII International Symposium on Luminescence Spectroscopy (ISLS 2008), Scientific Committee Member, 2007-2009
· NASA Ames, Member of the Astrobionics Scientific Advisory Board, 2006-present.
· International Society for Bioluminescence and Chemiluminescence, Advisory Board, 2001-present.
· NIH College of CSR Reviews, Member, 2010-present.
AWARDS AND DISTINCTIONS
· Lucille P. Markey Chair, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, 2010-present
· Albert D. and Elizabeth H. Kirwan Memorial Prize, University of Kentucky, 2009
· The 2009 Bill Barfield Award, Kentucky Water Resources Research Institute, 2009
· Wethington Award, University of Kentucky, 2009
· Wethington Award, University of Kentucky, 2008
· Wethington Award, University of Kentucky, 2007
· Distinguished Professor, AMC/FUMEC, Instituto Politécnico Nacional, Mexico, 2007
· Wethington Award, University of Kentucky, 2006
· University Research Professor Award, University of Kentucky, 2005-2006
· Gill Eminent Professor of Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 2002.
· Special Creativity Award, National Science Foundation, 2002
· A. F. Findeis Award, Division of Analytical Chemistry, American Chemical Society, 2001
· Lilly Award in Analytical Chemistry, 1997-1998.
· Cottrell Scholar Award, Research Corporation, 1997.
· National Science Foundation-CAREER Award, 1995.
· The Van Slyke Society Research Award, American Association for Clinical Chemistry, 1992.
· Juan Abelló Pascual Award in Biochemistry, Spanish Royal Academy of Doctors, 1992.
· Summa Cum Laude, Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain, 1991.
· Fulbright Scholar, 1983-1985