1. Students in the MD/PhD Program are required to be in satisfactory academic standing in both the MD and the PhD phases of the program at all times. Student's performance will be reviewed on an ongoing basis.
2. Minimal requirements for satisfactory academic standing will generally follow the policies of the Medical School and the School of Graduate Studies.
3. Medical School: The medical school stipulates that if a student receives >10 weeks of F credits or >13 credits of D and/or F credits during an academic year, the student may be required to repeat the year or be dismissed from medical school.
If a MD/PhD student reaches either of these limits, the student may be dismissed from the MD/PhD Program for inadequate academic performance, even if the medical school allows the student to progress to the next academic year. This decision will require a majority vote of the full MD/PhD Program Committee. This can occur at any time during the academic year upon exceeding the poor performance cap, even if the medical school chooses not to take action until the end of the semester or academic year.
4. Graduate School: During PhD training the Graduate School requires that students maintain a GPA ≥ 3.0. Rules for probation and adequate progress, as dictated by the Graduate School, the Program in Biomedical Sciences (PIBS) and individual PhD training programs will be followed.
5. If a student is dismissed from either the MD or PhD Program for any reason (including academic performance or professional conduct), or if a student must repeat any year of medical school, s/he will automatically lose their position in the MD/PhD program. A student may be allowed to reapply to the program in some circumstances.
6. Students will be informed in writing if their position in the MD/PhD program is to be reviewed and a possible vote by the Program Committee on their standing will take place. A student may submit to the Program Committee a letter or written documentation that they feel would help the committee make an informed decision. The student may be asked to appear before the MD/PhD Program Committee.
7. If a student would like to appeal the decision of the MD/PhD Program Committee, they should submit in a letter to the Associate Dean of Graduate Studies for the Medical School within five working days of notification of the decision. Reasons for the appeal must be clearly and concisely stated.